No doubt about it—the holidays are going to look a little different this year. Festive gatherings will likely be a lot smaller than in the past if they happen at all and everyone – not just aspiring superheroes – will probably be masking up before they go out.
Even if this season is anything but typical, there is this constant you can count on: many of the things we love most about the coming good times – namely all the good food and drink – are not great for our pets.
Here are a few things to consider as you prepare your furry families for a fun-filled winter!
- Do not let your pet consume any snacks that contain chocolate, xylitol (a sweetener often found in chewing gum and peanut butter), grapes, raisins, onions, currants, macadamia nuts or walnuts. Ingesting them can result in upset stomachs, heart arrhythmia, kidney failure and seizures.
- Many popular holiday plants, like holly, mistletoe, poinsettias and lilies, are highly toxic to cats and dogs and can cause organ failure and death if pets eat them. Keep all plants well out of reach.
- Watch those alcoholic drinks! It doesn’t take much for small animals to get alcohol poisoning, which can cause serious health complications.
- Careful with the turkey & trimmings! Turkey skin, gravy, and drippings are all high in fat and can cause pancreatitis in pets. Bones are a choking hazard, as is the tasty twine you used to secure your bird.
- Humans aren’t the only ones likely to overindulge during the holidays. ’Tis the season when our pets often beg for table scraps or forage through the trash for tasty people treats. Pet digestive systems can be fragile and prone to upset. If you notice your pet vomiting, suffering from diarrhea or displaying other signs of gastrointestinal distress after ingesting a holiday treat – like, say, deep-fried turkey – seek help immediately.
We would be happy to help you further prepare for festivities with your furry friends. For more information on pet-proofing your season, give us a call at (727) 376-7600.